Thursday, April 9, 2015

1949 Jose Cantu at KBOR


CANTÚ, JOSÉ (ca. 1914–1952). José Cantú, radio broadcaster, had a popular weekly evening musical show on KBOR in Brownsville known as the "Programa Popular" that aired from 1946 to 1952. Mexican singers and such local talented Tejanos as Ermilo Montemayor made the show a major success. Cantu's wit and political criticism during intermissions expressed the frustrations of Hispanics along the lower Rio Grande. He lampooned corrupt politicians and unscrupulous businessmen, hired investigators to examine consumer fraud and City Hall graft in numerous towns, and made powerful enemies. Still, Carnation Dairy Products, Royal Crown Hair Dressing, and other well-known companies sponsored the program. In time, Cantú became a major spokesman for local Mexican Americans in the battle for equality of opportunity and against prejudice. His program became so popular that sometimes it went on for an extra hour before saying on the air to his wife, "Jesusita, keep the pots warm. I will be there soon for supper." Eventually, his enemies asked Minor Wilson, manager of KBOR, to ban him from radio work. Nevertheless, Cantú continued to denounce those "who exploit the community." On June 7, 1952, he crashed into a tree outside Brownsville and was instantly killed; it was rumored that his brakes had been sabotaged. On June 7, 1952, Brownsville was overwhelmed by Cantu's funeral, where honors were bestowed on "a friend of those in poverty."
BIBLIOGRAPHY: 
Brownsville Herald, June 11, 1952.
Carlos M. Larralde, "CANTU, JOSE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcadx), accessed April 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

 Jose Cantu
 KBOR at 1939 Central Blvd
1939 Central Blvd 










Printed by Springman-King 



 I have heard different people tell me this is the house and that no this isn't the house - the original was torn down. But this is typical of early 1940s wood framed homes in Brownsville. An expert would know for sure just by looking at it

Elena Resendez ZorolaThis is a different house. I visited with my parents way back when Jose had his radio program. It was long as you went in. I remember how "cute" it seemed to be compared to most homes. My dad an Jose were in "shenanigans" too many times.




I took this photo while waiting for my vehicle state inspection sticker on 14th St before you pass Lincoln St.

[Check for updates to this and other posts]

Tom MillerI worked for KBOR in 1980-81 with Hank Hollingsworth. Gordon Marcy did mornings. Irene did Middays. Chris Eric Michael did afternoons and I did nights. Bill Sadler was the GM and it was owned by Steve and Jim DeWalt. I'm still in the biz working for Cumulus Media. It was Adult Contemporary then.

Joey HernandezI remember going there and picking up prizes i would win by listening n playing their games! would also record Their music into my cassettes..memories

Mario Bejarano Jr.My family and I lived behind it for 27 years @ 1944 N. Coria. Lots of memories.


Dottie Irwin MelkoConnie Green was the Winter Texan connection for the entire Valley when she was on the air. We performed there several times!! She was always so nice & kind to us. I went to school with her son, Larry for most of my school life. He was as quiet as she was outgoing!!!

Lupe SaenzI have a copy of that booklet sent to my dad in 1952 when Jose Cantu died. The booklet even had a piece of the tree bark where he was killed. In fact, I produced a 30 minute documentary on this in 2003. I have it and will upload for you, if you like.

Joanna Besteiro BarnettDoes anyone remember 'Radio Gallito' and the trademark theme? I think it started with a rooster, "R-R-R-RRRR, ay ay ay....' and pistolas?

Ray RiosDoes anyone remember, radio juventud? I remember the rooster!

Elena Resendez ZorolaOH, yes, it does seem like yesterday, both Jose Cantu in the afternoons, Connie Green in the mornings. "Every day is Mother's Day to me" and "Me estas oyendo, Cucha?"

Mario DavilaI think I remember Roy Zepeda and Hal Roche,being DJ's at KBOR-AM, Hal in the morning and Roy in the afternoon playin spanish music, I hope I got Hal's name correct.

More comments carried over from Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment