Thursday, July 7, 2016

1860's Levee near E 13th Brownsville, Texas

Photo sent by Jose Cazares
Below is a discussion we rarely see on the Facebook page about a new discovery when seveal eyes look at the same photo.  We've seen several photos and I can update this post later but for now what we're looking at is Matamoros looking across river to Levee in Brownsville, Texas with attention on store that has a sign hanging from it with the Spanish word for bookstore which is "librería" and the Spanish word for library is "bibliotca" which is why this has been identified in only one other photo taken around the same time in the 1860s.

We've been seing a lot posted on this page as an abundance of great historical treats from our friends comes pouring and I wasted too much time on hat rock so if you're interested in reading more about this photo read the comments that you might have missed seeing on FB.

 These are friends so I don't think they'll mind my using their comments for this post.

*****  To be Updated later *******

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm missing some hidden message in the narrative, but it sure looks like the building sign in the photograph correctly spells Libreria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been edited out. I am wondering how I read that wrong. Too much wine maybe -- I am not used to wine. Thanks!!

      Delete