Thursday, July 21, 2016

1859 March 4 - letter to Major Chapman from Charles Stillman



Brownsville  March 4, 1859
Dear Major [Charles Stillman to Major William Chapman]



I wrote you a few hasty lines the 23rd ult. Waiting on you with my Exch. for $15,000 which I trust will be duly rec’d, and am in hopes to be able to remit you the balance in a very short time. Moses has been absent for some time and Shiers [or Shears = name of business partner] being dead. It will, I fear be a long time before our acc’t is settled with them. – Our Pistols are nearly all sold. I have adopted the plan of sending them to our retailers, invoicing them, $5 and allowing them 3% - they to give me the money or pistols when cal’d for – this method I deem preferable than to retail myself, we have quite a quantity of German imitation Colt pistols for sale here they come much less than are Colts and it takes an experienced hand to know the difference – It would be well to order from Colt about ten rifles and it is cheaper for Colt to send them to New Orleans by steamer as the insurance is much less by sailing vessel direct.-
The abandonment of Fort Brown is creating considerable feeling here, it certainly is the most important place on this frontier, and opposite of a garrison City. Ammunition and all guns are to be removed and deposited at the Brazos – are not 

the wise heads of Washington aware that Powder will spoil at that place in a very short time and it would be useless in a year or two [?] -  I also see that Gen’l Houston quotes you as to the character of Preanor. This speech of the old Genl was to gratify his bitter feelings toward Judge Watrous and influences Mussina’s suit in New York. I am fearful that you did not seek an interview with Mr. Clark before you left New York. I have sent Basse there to assist Clark in preparing the case for trial and I deem it important that Hale should also be present at the trial. He is expected to be here in a few days.  Hord has visited us with his lady and and thank God has left,   quarrel’d with every one, and made Stephen Powers his atty. I am now satisfied that he is the most unprincipled man I ever knew  Mussina is a saint in comparison to him[?] and I should not be surprised to see him side with Mussina.
Repecting Morris suit about Palo Alto. I am informed that it could have been arranged on moderate terms at first, but Mr. Morris remembered[?] that his father had $10,000 deposited in the Bank to defray said expenses,   which offended his dutch opponent. I am afraid that this young friend of yours requires a little more experience.
Last week I spent two days at my Rancho [Los Laureles] with my Brother [Cornelius] and would have wished to remain 

longer had business permit’d,  it was a luxury to camp in the open air over more, get a ducking [?] and sleep in the mud-  appears are that we are to have a rainy season again. Stock all over the county has done well, sheep in particular. Your friend McClane has purchased Kenedy drove and taken them to the Pintos, exchanged his cows for them.
We have had a delightful Winter the most I ever have experienced, not a single unpleasant day.
Business with me has been most excellent, have sold upward of 100,000 since my return and it requires all my attention. Belden I could not endure his business habits and careless method annoyed me. He saw it and I frankly said he could do me no good and left. I have a new sell as the Bellows and will endeavor in time to blow them into line
Woodhouse has returned, also his brother in a new vessel. My friends Horace Southmayd & Sons endorsed for him - the fellow has a good start – at least $40,000 and reports that I have treated him shamefully because I would not remain associated with our account of his making use of gross language to a female and he has many sympathies here, as I suppose it is popular to abuse and curse me, they do it all however behind my back.

It is my ugly nature that makes me continue to do business. To retire you would be to yield my place to W[oodhouse] the most ungrateful being I have ever knew, and I am determined to continue for a time until I convinced that he is not as important as he and his friends suppose him to be. Brother Cornelius in a few months will obtain a fair knowledge of my business. He is a good merchant, though ignorant of Spanish. Will be able to allow me to leave for a few months every now and then. So major you see there is but little prospect of our frying any fish y oysters this season at your new station.

With kind regards to your family, I remain Yours Truly, Chas. Stillman.


Your compliments to Mr. & Mrs. Passmore will be attended to. She is the only lady I visit here and she is by herself. All that were fit for her society have left. Chamberlain hostility is so strong against Passmore, that he has turned church members against them. He may be a good Christian but sinner that I am my conscience would not allow me to treat __ _w other as he dose [does]

**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment