Tuesday, June 27, 2017

1967 - Hurricane Beulah Storms through Ft Brown Motor Hotel

 TSC archives slide image
 View from behind hotel and what appears to be heavy damage to top section (next three slide photos courtesy of Mel & Del Trevino) 
 View from E Elizabeth (now University Dr)  Looks like rolled up carpets on grass
 View from Holiday Inn parking lot.  Those are carpets hanging from balcony rails
archival postcard/brochure image?
Jose Zuniga --Mom and dad wanted to go to a shelter. I didn't want to go. So we stayed home. It felt like airplanes were flying around the house... It broke a branch off a mesquite tree, bended other trees and the yard was flooded..


Mrp Mimms --And then after it was over, crop-dusters sprayed the city with pesticides for the Mediterranean fruit fly infestation. I can still smell it. It's a wonder any of us survived the aftermath.


Carol Lee Davidson-- I worked at Mercy hospital then. The nuns had us prepare the hallways. And cafeteria for people seeking shelter that lived in Matamoros or Las Prietas in Brownsville. I was shocked at the number of people that showed up. We ended up turning away quite a few because we just didn't have the vacancy.

Norma Cardenas-- My family was living in Edinburg during Beulah. However, my mom's family all were living in Brownsville. Since I was in 10th grade, my mind was concerned with school things--namely watching football games. Brownsville got major wind damage, but Hidalgo County got more flooding than wind. Since we found out that Edinburg was going to be out of school for over a month, we decided to try to make it to Brownsville to both visit relatives and catch a game. Normally it takes around 45 minutes to an hour to get there from Edinburg, but Beulah flooding made us have to Take so many detours to reach Brownsville that it took us over 2 hrs. To get there! We got quite an eyeful of damage during our journey that it seems like just yesterday


Peggy Paris --I remember hearing about an I beam being picked up on one side of the Ft.Brown resaca, bent in a perfect U and deposited on the other side.
(visual aid for Peggy Paris story)

Kim Tipton -- I remember putting tape on the windows and opening windows on opposite sides of the house. Our cat had some cute kittens who would climb up a chair back and pounce on my father who was sleeping on the floor.
Belinda Rangel I remember we were our kitchen when the back of house just fell to ground , we were evacuated and taken to Hanna High school

4 comments:

  1. My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was entirely right.
    This publish truly made my day. You can not consider simply how much time I had spent
    for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found plenty more by simply searching "hurricane" in search box at upper left corner of blog. Thank you

      Delete
  2. Muito bom artigo . Eu absolutamente apreciar este site.
    Continue o bom trabalho !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eu sou regular leitor , como está todo mundo? Isto pedaço de escrita Postado neste
    local é na verdade boa .

    ReplyDelete