Submitted by Leo Rodriguez
The Don Patricio Causeway to Padre Island opened on July 4, 1927. The wooden causeway was built by Col. Sam Robertson, who planned a resort on the island. A round-trip crossing cost $3, before the causeway was destroyed by a hurricane in 1933.
Looks like those kids had to use their tight wire line act to get back to the vehicle. No life jackets needed, these folks were built tough. e act to get back to the vehicle. No life jackets needed, these folks were built tough.
On the north and south end of the island Col. Robertson also offered ferry service. Here we see of a ferry tugging an automobile to the island.
The Texas license plate on the vehicle is dated 1930, car maybe a mid 20s Packard.
Fortunately, during this era vehicles weren't equipped with power steering, which undoubtedly assisted vehicles in not jumping off tracks.
Color added to original B&W photos.
No Packard... 1930 Chevrolet.ReplyDelete