Thursday, June 23, 2016

1858 Jan'y 12 ~ Letter to Elizabeth from Charles Stillman

Most documents written to or from Charles Stillman are business letters which tell us much about how he embarked on several money making ventures but those he wrote to his wife Elizabeth reveal more about the kind of man he was. In 1858 his widowed niece found herself alone in Brownsville and bullied by a few older women in town.  Here's li'l bit of Brownsville-made frontier gossip for the busy-body historian.

Brownsville Jany 12. 1858.



Dear Elib,



....I judge you are trying to make the time pass as agreeably as possible, Holedays to Mr Woodhouse and myself have been like all others, hard work, with gloomy feelings, we
however proceed with a determination to conquer our misfortunes, and leave others to make their calls and gifts, and pass their

time as their inclination and judgment dictates it was a sad day, "New years" for Mrs North, she spent the day in tears, to see a person yield to grief is always painful to me. I can and smother my own trials, but to see it in others that I esteem, is more trying than my own feelings.



[Humphrey E. Woodhouse, like Charles Stillman, came from a merchant shipping family from Wethersfield, Connecticut and became a business partner of Stillman when he arrived at Brazos Santiago in 1848.]



Mrs Woodhouse has not calld upon Mrs North since I have been here, all other Ladies in Town have been kind to her, Mrs Smith & Passmore in particular, since my first call on Mrs W she has not mentioned Mrs N. name, Mrs N feels her conduct but never utters a word of complaint, against Mrs W. from want I have been able to see I condem Mrs W. and poor Woodhouse has yoked himself I fear to one who will make this world a hell for him, I trust my apprehension are wrong, and we will let tis matter drop I should not have alluded to it here, had I not been so foolish as to have listened to her on my first visit, and her object was to prejudice me against a Lady that under all and any circumstances I was bound to protect a Nice, and a widow of my partner who lost his life in the attempt to save my property, if she was the foulest person on earth I should feel myself bound to protect, but a person devoted to her Husband as she is deserves the admiration of all in these days of vanity, I believe until I came here she had here contemplated of spending her days and now she will not leave unless his corps proceed her, I do all I can to sooth her, but I am a poor hand at that, and it places a chain around me that I would willingly free myself off.

[Mrs North was widowed when her husband Frank North died after a warehouse belonging to Charles exploded.  Frank was Charles' nephew who he had held high hopes for.]



Say to Jimmy [his son James] that I also reed his letter but have not had time to write him by this mail, will do so next....



[In many letters to Elizabeth Charles expresses a longing to bring Jimmy back to Texas to Laureles Ranch to see livestock and ride on the open plains away from the cold blandness of Connecticut etc.]



I have rec'd a letter from the Major dated at Washington, he has re'd no appointment yet, he will probably visit you, respecting naming the Baby Chapman, do as you please you are one that likes to have their own wish always complyed with. The Major places great confidence in me, he knows he can confide in me, and wishes me to think and believe him to be devoted to me his blarney has never taken root, he has many good qualities, but he is not a Jewitt. It would flatter the Major no doubt, and you can do just as you please but never breath that I was make all the blarney yours consulted on the subject, I would not have him think I was gull'd.  if his luve is spared hime he will become a distinguished man and a very popular one, no one understands the art of studying popularity than he does, or is more desirous of it, and should his wife live, we may some day see him President of the U.S. she has a well balanced mind and directs well his ambition and energy,  I admire and respect the Major.

[James Jewett was a business partner and good friend and Charles named his first son after him.  "Blarney" is talk that aims to charm, persuade or flatter and "gulled" means to be fooled or deceived.  Major William Chapman was Quartermaster at Fort Brown and we know much about Brownsville during its beginnings from a book compiled of his wife Helen's letters titled "The News From Brownsville" edited by Caleb Coker]


...The mail is about closing and I must close, will endeavor to find time between the mails to write you more at leisure and reply more fully to yours, after the mail arrives it gives hardly time to give proper attention to our commercial letters, remember me kindly to our friends and kiss all of the children for me, it is hard to be seperated from them but such is the destiny of your


Faithful Husband



Chas Stillman



[We learn in subsequent letters that:
Mrs Woodhouse had slandered Mrs North and making things worse Mrs North had confided to Mrs Smith who in turn told Mrs Woodhouse all she said which was not kind and there was a Mrs Fry in the middle of all this drama.  Charles expressed again to his wife that he only looked into the "triangle fight" matter for his friend Mr Woodhouse and was glad to be done with the matter and hoped to never revisit it again. 
Charles confides to Elizabeth that he feels all parties involved acted improperly including Mr Woodhouse who behaved "ungentlemanly" and Charles feels he can never have the same respect for him thereafter.]





No comments:

Post a Comment