Sunday, August 7, 2022

Longoria Elementary 1982 - 1983 team picture?

 


To my childhood friends, classmates and especially my 6th grade football teammates from Longoria Elementary (1982-1983), for many years I've been trying to get a copy of the football team picture that was taken outside by the cafeteria.
Unfortunately, many of us could not afford to buy the team picture. The team mainly consisted of boys from the neighborhood 4-21. Many parents lived from paycheck to paycheck and barely made ends meet.
If anyone has the football team picture from Longoria Elementary 1982 - 1983 school year, PLEASE take a picture of if and send it to me. It's been 40 years, and I've never seen that picture.
Our coach was Hector Garcia (R.I.P). Principal at the time was Mr. Vasquez.
I remember one day that the coaches took us to the Brownsville Boys Club to pick up donated football uniforms.
After I walked in, I was in total awe because I had never seen an indoor basketball court. As I saw the boys playing basketball and running from on side of the basketball court to the other, I thought to myself, " Wow, just like on television!"
They took us to a room. As soon as we walked in, we were met with a very interesting and strong odor which we quickly ignored because we saw a giant heap of very old and dirty football uniforms against the back wall. Hence, the strong odor. On another side of the room, there were also very old and beat up helmets and other equipment.
I remember some adult saying, "Go, get your uniforms!" Full of excitement and not caring for the bad smell or the condition of the uniforms, we all rushed and were quick in trying to pick the least worn out uniforms before rushing to get a helmet. We were just happy that we were getting football uniforms and didn't care for the condition they were in. Back then when one got something used, to us it felt as if is was NEW!
Our Coach.....
About five years ago, while doing online searches to see what I could find and trying to contact old teammates, I came across coach Hector Garcia's obituary from 2013. 🙁 It was sad to find out about his passing. It quickly brought back memories....(obituary link is below)
I remember in 5th grade we had ZERO wins. Coach Garcia took over as coach in 6th grade, and he turned the team around. If I recall correctly, it was his first year at Longoria Elementary. He was a motivator, he made us believe in ourselves.
"If you do this here in practice, I don't see any reason why you can't do it in a real game!" "I wish I was out there in uniform playing with you guys, but the truth is that you don't need me. This team is good enough!" That year we got 2nd place. Not bad for a football team from a low income barrio.
I remember practicing regardless the weather. To me the best practice was when it was raining. What a muddy mess! I remember taking a shower at home after practice and blowing my nose. Nothing but MUD came out of my nose. The following day at school the football players were all sharing the same story. Instead of boogers, it was MUD!
Coach Hector Garcia thank you for the great memories and for being an awesome unforgettable football coach!
To Coach Garcia's family, my most sincere and deepest condolences.🙏

No comments:

Post a Comment