Friday, September 10, 2021

1917 Reefer Madness in Brownsville, Texas

 from "STATE OF TEXAS INVESTIGATION REPORT ALONG THE MEXICAN BOARDER"

1910's unspecified Robert Runyon drugstore photo 

  3/14/17         Mr. J.L. Calderoni, proprietor of the City Drug Store, Brownsville, Texas
Mr. Calderoni states in substance as follows:
“I have never handled Marihuana at my drug store and would not handle it, as it is a very dangerous drug and injurious to health when smoked, causing the user to become crazy and run amuck.   I will recite a little incident that happened which has always made me very afraid of marihuana smokers.   When I was a young man I was invited by a very close friend of mine to visit with him a young lady to whom my friend was engaged to be married.   During the evening this friend signified his intention to try a smoke of Marihuana.   Although I had never smoked it I had some in my pocket at the time and as he was anxious to try it I gave him some.   He made a cigarette and smoked it.   Soon afterwards I left the house.   The next morning I received a note from the young lady to be careful and keep away from my friend as he was trying to find me and kill me.   This was about ten o’clock in the morning and the effects of the drug were still with him.   Upon meeting my friend after the effects of the drug had worn off, I told him of the circumstances and of my having received the letter from his fiancee warning me to keep out of his way.   He said he knew nothing of the effect that the drug had had upon him and of his intention to kill me, so we laughed it off and thought it quite a joke.

“In Mexico the ignorant people of the poorer class living in the country and mountains do not employ a doctor to attend to their women at child birth.   It is not an uncommon thing for them to ad minister a tea made out of the following herbs: ‘Culantrillo de Mexico’ (Maiden hair of Mexico); ‘Romero’ (Rosemary leaves); ‘Alusema’ (Lavender leaves); and ‘Marijuana’, believing that it is essential for the successful delivery of the child.

“I believe that the sale of Cannabis indica should be controlled under the Harrison Anti-Narcotic law.   Physicians never prescribe the herb and druggists never use it in the preparation of medicine.   It is sold in package from and in bulk solely for smoking purposes.”

  3/14/17         Brownsville Drug Company, Brownsville

Jose Martinez, proprietor, stated in substance as follows:
“I have never used the herb in its leaf form, use the extract only.   I have been at the above drug store for nine years.   Sometimes I have a call for Marihuana from Mexicans of the lower class.   I do not think that the Mexicans that come here for Marihuana live in Brownsville, but live in Matamoros, Mexico, across the river from Brownsville.   They are accustomed to obtaining the weed there, and so when they are here they come to drug stores, thinking that they can also obtain it.   I have not filled a prescription for Cannabis for many years.   This drug should be controlled under the narcotic law as it is extremely dangerous to health.   In the form of the herb it is never prescribed by physicians or used by druggists, in the preparation of medicine, it being bought and used for smoking purposes.”

  3/13/17         M. J. Garcia, Brownsville
  (Mr. Garcia is a Mexican born in Brownsville)
Mr. Garcia states in substance as follows:
I have been in business here for 13 years handling general produce.   Smoking Marihuana dries up the brain, and the victim finally loses his mind completely.   Drunkenness is nothing compared to the effects of smoking marihuana.   The U.S. Government should do something to prohibit the sale of marihuana.   It should be added to the list of narcotics prohibited under the Harrison Narcotic Law.


-70-

  3/13/17         Esteban G. Orsuna, Ex-Justice of the Peace., Brownsville, Texas
Mr. Orsuna stated in substance as follows:
“I used to sell marihuana in my store, together with other Mexican herbs.   I was advised some time ago that it was against the law and have not sold any since.   I have nine children.   When each of these children was born we employed a “partera” who gave “Te de Marihuana” (Marihuana tea) as follows: A pinch of Marihuana, as much as you would get between the thumb and first and second fingers, boiled in half a cup of water, strained and drunk morning and night for a period of one month before time of child birth.   This prevents the woman from feeling any pain at child birth.”

1908 ad

  3/13/17         J.L. Putegnat & Bro., Druggists.
Mr. Putegnat stated in substance as follows:
I have been at this drug store since 1865 but have not handled Cannabis Indica in the herb form for over 5 years.   It is a drug which in the herb form is never prescribed by a physician and is of no use to a to a druggist in the preparation of medicine, it being used only for smoking purposes.   It is necessary to put this drug on the narcotic list and control it in all of its forms.   I have a call for Marihuana about once a month - always from Mexicans.   When the drug is smoked the user becomes wild and raving mad and imagines that he sees all sort of things and hears noises.   He does not stagger like one under the influence of liquor but seems to be in a complete daze.   In this condition he is very dangerous.   I have often wondered why the Government never passed a law prohibiting the sale of this article.   I stopped selling it long ago when I found out what the effects of it were.”


-71-

1895 ad -- Eagle Pharmacy lasted until 1960s

  3/14/17         Eagle Pharmacy, Brownsville
Mr. E.R. Howard, part proprietor of the above store, stated as follows:
“I have been with this concern for six years and we have never handled the herb in any form.   We found out years ago that it is very bad and although we have had, and do now have, many calls for it, have never put in a stock of it.   We probably had as many as a half dozen calls a day for Marihuana years go, but lately since they know we do not handle it we have a call only now and then.   These are from people from Matamoros, Mexico, and not from Mexicans living in Brownsville.   Mr. M. Cisneros, a drug clerk at this store, was formerly a drug clerk in Matamoros, Mexico, where he said he used to sell a lot of Marihuana to Mexican soldiers’ wives, who would come and get it, as the soldiers were not allowed to buy it.   They would then smuggle it into the barracks with the dinner”.

1907 ad

  3/14/17         Willman’s Pharmacy, Brownsville
3/14/17 W.G. Willman stated in substance, as follows:
I have not sold Marihuana for 10 years.   I would not handle this stuff.   It should be controlled under the narcotic law in all of its forms.   It is never prescribed by a physician and is on no use to a druggist in the preparation of medicine.   We have nor about two calls a month for marihuana from low class Mexicans.   Mexicans living in Brownsville do not call for it as they know we do not handle it.   Those calling for it must be from Matamoros or transients from some part of Mexico.”

No comments:

Post a Comment